How do I change my legal name in Banner?

A request to change your legal name in the UNC Charlotte Banner System can be made online, or in person, at the appropriate office.

If you are an employee (faculty, staff, or student), federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting. Thus, in order to reflect your name change on your personnel and payroll records, you must complete the Employee Name Change form.  Legal name change requests can be made online, or in person at the Human Resources Office in the King Building, 2nd floor, Room 222.

If you are a student and are not employed with the University, please complete the Demographic Change Request form. Upload that form, along with a copy of your social security card, marriage license, divorce decree, or legal name change paperwork via our secure document upload process. If you are an international student, name changes can be made from your passport. For in-person submissions, you may submit to Niner Central at 380 Cone Center.

If you have not requested a change of name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new social security card at the nearest Social Security Administration Office. (Note: You will need to bring an original legal document reflecting your new name to support your request for the name change. Examples of accepted legal documents include a birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.) Once you receive your new Social Security card, please bring it to the appropriate office.

For questions, please do the following:

1) Students: Call Niner Central at 704-687-5505

2) Employees: Call Human Resources at 704-687-0669

NOTE: For additional information on how to apply for, replace, correct, or change your name on your Social Security Card, click here.

 A request to change your Legal Sex or Date of Birth in the UNC Charlotte Banner System can be made online, or in person at the appropriate administrative office.

Print Article


Article ID: 1523
Wed 10/18/23 4:31 PM
Wed 1/17/24 3:24 PM