How do I ensure that the sales tax exemption is applied to my hotel bill?

The University’s exemption only applies to sales tax. The University is not exempt from occupancy tax at any hotel.

  1. During check-in, let the hotel’s front desk attendant know you work for a tax-exempt entity.
  2. Provide your University p-card, which has the University’s tax-exempt number printed on the front, and if required by the hotel, provide a copy of the University’s sales tax exempt certificate. 

    Your room expenses will not be exempt from sales tax unless you use a University purchasing card (p-card).
  3. When you receive your bill at the end of your stay, make sure that the sales tax has been removed. 
  4. If the sales tax has not been removed, go to the front desk and request the sales tax be removed.

  5. Request that the hotel staff print a new bill excluding sales tax.

    If the hotel staff will not honor the University's sales tax exemption, go ahead and pay the bill with your p-card. Follow up with the hotel staff when you are back in the office to request that they honor the tax exemption after the fact.

    Some states will not accept our sales tax exemption. Currently, the University has specific sales tax exemption certificates for Florida, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Visit the sales and use tax exemption certificates webpage to access all certificates on file.

  6. If you have any questions concerning this process, email
Print Article


Article ID: 2417
Fri 11/17/23 2:57 PM
Tue 12/19/23 4:34 PM